Wrapping or swaddling babies has been a practice for many centuries around the world. When you do it correctly, it is a safe and great way to make your baby feel calm and comfortable while they sleep.
With that said, continue reading to learn how to swaddle a baby and its benefits.
Steps on How to Swaddle Your Baby
- Lay your baby’s blanket on a flat and soft surface. Next, fix the blanket into a diamond shape. Keep in mind that the bottom of the diamond should be facing you.
- Overlay the top part of the blanket to form a loose triangle. Position your baby with their feet facing you. Your baby’s shoulder has to be under the fold of the blanket.
- Place your baby’s right arm and the arm a bit bent beside his body. Put the same side up and over your baby’s right side and fold it under your baby. The left arm of your baby has to be free.
- Tuck the bottom of the blanket over your baby’s feet. You can tuck it at the back of your baby’s shoulder if there is excess.
- Pull the other side of the blanket up and over the other arm and across your baby’s body to finish the swaddle.
Benefits of Swaddling
- Babies sleep better and longer when swaddled.
- They have less anxiety.
- Because the startle reflex is prevented, it prevents waking the baby up unnecessarily.
- Using a wrap means not having to place pillows, blankets, stuffed toys, bumpers, and other comfort things which can cause SIDS or sudden infant death syndrome.
- It prevents babies from scratching their faces while they sleep.
- It can mimic their parents’ touch, which is vital for babies when they wake up in the middle of the night.
- A swaddle keeps babies in a back position. As a result, parents can rest more since they do not need to position their babies at their backs.
- It helps babies who suffer from colic because swaddling gives safety and security to the baby.
- The ideal sleeping position for babies is hands-over-heart by using a swaddle. After that, babies learn to sleep on their own and soothe themselves.
- Parents and caretakers can rest more because babies sleep more.
Finally, you have a better understanding of how to swaddle your baby and its many benefits. When your baby sleeps longer and better, you can also sleep longer and better. If you are a new parent, swaddling will become more manageable over time.